Saturday, November 22, 2014

Reflection: Luke 20:27-40


Luke 20:27-40 – 33rd Week in Ordinary Time

Today’s Gospel may be a bit difficult to understand. The Sadducees are challenging Jesus. They give him a scenario about seven brothers. The oldest brother married a woman who gave him no children. This man died without any offspring. However, the man had 6 brothers. Each brother in their turn married this woman. And each brother in turn died, without having any children! What is Jesus saying to us in this Gospel?

As we approach the end of this Church year, these readings invite us to pause and reflect on our lives. How are we living? Are we living in a way that is bearing “fruit” for our families, our friends, our co-workers, our world? Jesus’ talk of “the end time” might make us fearful or apprehensive! It sounds pretty alarming!

However, Jesus may simply be inviting us to stop and reflect deeply on our lives. How am I living? How well am I loving? Am I sharing the gifts I have? These may seem like small choices in a very big world. However, my choices and our choices affect everything and everyone in this world! What will I choose to do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment