Monday, January 9, 2017

Reflection: Matthew 3:13-17


The Baptism of the Lord, Feast - Matthew 3:13-17

Jesus had traveled from Galilee and He found John the Baptist at the Jordan River.  Jesus had come to John to be baptized by him.  However, John was scandalized at His request!  John immediately protested and said to Jesus: “I am the one who should be baptized by you, yet you come to me.” Jesus then said to John: “Give into me for now; this must be done to fulfill all of God’s demands.”  Then John baptized Jesus.  When Jesus came out of the water, the sky opened and He saw the Spirit of God descending upon him like a dove.  Then a voice from heaven spoke: “This is my beloved Son.  My favor rests on Him.”   

In this Gospel, Jesus also says to each of us: “You are my beloved child.  My favor rests on you.”  Now take a few moments and ask yourself: Do I truly believe that I am the “beloved” of Jesus?   Do I sense His presence with me at times?  Do I trust and believe that Jesus is with me in every moment of every day?  If you reply: “Yes, I believe,” you truly are a person of faith!  And if your answer is: “Well, sometimes I believe Jesus is with me but at other times I do not sense His presence at all,” your faith may need some strengthening.  If you typically believe that that Jesus is with you even when you do not “feel” His presence, you are blessed with great faith and trust in Jesus.  Today, if you are not able to believe that Jesus is walking beside you, remind yourself: Jesus will never leave my side!  And then act as if you believe that He is with you every of your day! This choice will strengthen your faith and trust in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment