Sunday, January 15, 2017

Reflection: John 1:29-34


The Second Sunday in Ordinary Time - John 1:29-34

This Sunday’s Gospel is the encounter between John the Baptist and Jesus.  When John sees Jesus, he exclaims: “Look! There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.  It is He of whom I said: ‘After me will come a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me’.”  John then confesses that he had not recognized Jesus as the Lamb of God.  Jesus and John had known one another from birth; they were cousins. Yet until this moment, John had not realized that Jesus was “The Christ.”   John then gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit descend and rest on someone; it is He who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.  I have seen for myself and I have testified, ‘This is God’s chosen One.’”

Ask yourself: do you truly believe that Jesus is “The Lamb of God?”  I suspect that many of us “grew up” with the Gospel and we were taught about Jesus and his life from our childhood.  Yet today ask yourself: Do I truly believe and confess that Jesus is “The Lamb of God?”  Many of us know about Jesus, however do we listen daily for His word in our life?  Are Jesus and his teachings integral in your life?  Or do you simply give “lip service” to your faith?  Today I invite you to take time to search your heart and mind.  You may be surprised at what you find there.  I pray that you will find faith and peace within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment