Monday, September 22, 2008

Winds of Change

Ditto to Sister Kathleen Marie's post. I too live with Sister and what a change it was. I was grateful for the time of quiet and living one day at a time. It felt like I was suspended in time and that week was certainly a gift from God. I also did not focus on the future but on keeping the generator running and shutting it down at night and then starting it up in the morning. I was very happy that we have a gas water heater so at least we had the comfort of a hot shower every day. The simple joys of life are really appreciated in times of trouble.

I felt that we did very well at our house with adjusting to the circumstances. We spent most of the days on the back porch and our evenings playing card games by candle light. The first two evenings we used an old bucket and made a small fire to make S'more's and singing along with Sister Kathleen playing the guitar. Little Boxes, Take me Home Country Roads, Rocky Top, and Yellow Submarine were just a few of the songs we sung. We were not worried about what time it was or what preparations to make for the next day. Just simple living that came through the experience of hurricane Ike.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister Francis Marie,
    Hello! My name is Alex Larsen, and I live in North Carolina, I have been to Ferdinand several times now. I am glad that you guys were able to make the best of your time when you were with out power. I would have loved to have been there for the night you made s'mores and sang all of those songs, and played cards. It's times like those, that we cherish as good memories. I hope you are having a blessed week. Take care and God bless.
    In Christ,
    Alex Larsen

    ReplyDelete