Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Reflection: Matthew 12:46-50


16th Tuesday in Ordinary Time - Matthew 12:46-50

Today’s Gospel may be a difficult reading for us to understand. While Jesus was preaching, his mother and his brothers approached him. They told some of his disciples that they wanted to talk with Jesus. The disciples went to Jesus and told him that his family had come and they wanted to speak with him.

Jesus must have surprised the disciples with his response. He immediately said: “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” I assume the disciples were taken aback by Jesus’ response. After all, his words gave the impression that his mother and his brothers were unimportant to him. It almost sounded like he had disowned them. However, Jesus was conveying a very different message to his listeners. Jesus told them that any person who does God’s will is his brother, sister and mother!

I assume that all of us wish to be considered Jesus’ brother, sister, mother or father. However, the condition for this relationship is that we have to do the “will of his heavenly Father.” The question for me is: how do I know what God’s will is for me? I have not received an official letter from God commissioning me to “go to a foreign country to be a missionary.” However, every day I interact with individuals who may need help, a listening ear, support or laughter. Perhaps God’s will for me is to be inclusive and loving with every person who crosses my path!

Today as you go about your day, I invite you to be aware of the gifts you can share with the individuals you meet. They don’t have to be big gifts. Perhaps they actually may seem insignificant to you. However, the other person may be blessed with your small but generous gift! And be attentive to the little gifts you receive today. They are a gift and blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment