Saturday, July 4, 2015

Reflection: John 14:23-29


Independence Day – John 14:23-29

In today’s Gospel, Jesus says to his disciple, Jude: “Whoever loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him and we will come and make our dwelling with him/her.” Then Jesus begins preparing his disciples for his departure. He tells them that his Father will send them the Advocate, the Holy Spirit. The Advocate will teach them everything!

Then we hear the familiar and loving words of Jesus: “My peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” I invite you to silently absorb his words for 2-3 minutes. Then slowly and mindfully repeat Jesus’ words 4 or 5 times. Then just be still for 2 or 3 minutes.

Did you sense or experience the peace and presence of Jesus? When we are upset, troubled or fearful Jesus may feel very far away. At these times, if we consciously breathe in his peace and his presence, we may begin to experience his presence with us. However, we need to stop and breathe in the love, the peace and the presence of Jesus for a few minutes. Jesus is always with us! However, we are not always consciously in his presence. We may need to once again deliberately place ourselves in Jesus’ presence. He will not fail us!

No comments:

Post a Comment