Monday, July 13, 2015

Reflection: Matthew 10:34-11:1


15th Monday in Ordinary Time – Matthew 10:34-11:1

Today’s Gospel may be a difficult reading to listen to for many of us. Jesus tells his disciples: “I have not come to bring peace upon earth. I come not to bring peace but the sword! He continues, saying: “I will set son against father, daughter against mother and daughter-in-law.” He also warns them: “Your enemies will be those of your household.”

Jesus then says: “Whoever loves their father or mother, son or daughter, more than me is not worthy of me.” And whoever does not “take up their cross and follow me, is not worthy of me.” He uses several more examples, ultimately telling his disciples (and us) that we are to love Jesus first and foremost! True, we will love our family and friends but Jesus, God and the Spirit are to reign in our lives!

Ask yourself: who or what reigns in your life? Today I invite you to quietly reflect on this question for 10-15 minutes. Do a basic assessment of your life. Ask God to help you see clearly the reality of your life.

What do you wish to change in your life? What is “right” in your life? What is important in your life? Who and what are you thankful for? Thank God for the many gifts and graces you have been given! Ask God to walk with you in your struggles!

God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are with us, gifting and gracing us! What more could we ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment