Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Family that Prays Together . . .

Please pray for my aunt who has been in the hospital with a brain aneurysm since August 22. Her family has been keeping us all updated on her progress through a website called caringbridge.com. I'm always so thankful to read the updates and the messages that people post. She has a lot of people praying for her, which is helping her in making baby steps to recovery. All of us in the family have been given an assignment to send her a picture and information about ourselves in order to help her recover.

My mom's side of the family is very large, but also very close. I know if I were ever in need, all I would have to do is get the word out and my family would answer. Much of this has to do with my grandma. She was the embodiment of love and showered us all with love. She died in 1996 at the age of 94, but I still remember going to her house every other weekend. We would honk the horn when we saw her house from the highway. There was no way she could hear us, but it was our signal that we were almost there. We started waving and yelling "Yoo Hoo" from the moment we pulled into the driveway, parked the car (which seemed forever), got out of the car, ran up the steps and onto the back porch. We were always greeted with a big hug and chocolate chip cookies.

An example of her prayer: In 1995 I had knee surgery that lasted 4 or 5 hours. My grandma prayed the entire time until someone called with news that I was ok. She said she had 5 rosaries out in front of her. When one got warm, she put it down and picked up another one. We never underestimated the power of "Grandma's rosary." Believe me, I kept her informed of anything that was going on in my life - especially any college finals. I still call on her, especially with teaching. She taught school for a few years and drove to school in a horse and buggy.

My aunt being in the hospital is another time in our family when prayers are needed. Without a doubt, they are streaming forth. I believe that my family is so close because of my grandma's love and example. Her constant prayer and nurturing helped us to be a strong family that will answer whenever there is a need. I pray that I can be just a little bit like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment