Sunday, December 11, 2016

Reflection: Matthew 11:2-11



The Third Sunday of Advent - Matthew 11:2-11

Today’s Gospel has a double focus.  The first part of this Gospel concerns John the Baptist.  The second portion of the Gospel focuses on Jesus.  John was in prison and when he heard about the works that Jesus was performing, he sent some of his disciples to Jesus.  He told his disciples to go to Jesus and ask: “Are you ‘He who is to come’ or should we look for another?”

When John’s disciples approached Jesus and asked him the question John had posed, Jesus replied: “Go back and report to John what you hear and see.  The blind see, the lame walk, lepers are healed, the dead are raised to life, and the poor have the good news preached to them.  Blest are the ones who find no stumbling block in me.”  In a very clear way, Jesus told John’s disciples that He was “The One” sent from God!  I wonder how the disciples reacted to Jesus’ words?  Did they immediately believe Him or did not know how to respond to Jesus’ statement?  After they heard Jesus’ statement, John’s disciples immediately left and reported to John what Jesus had said.

Then Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John the Baptist.  He asked the people: “What did you go out to see ­– a reed swaying in the wind?  Or someone dressed in luxurious robes who lives in palaces?  Or did you go out to see a prophet?  Jesus said: “A prophet in deed...and something more!”  Jesus then quotes a passage from Scripture: “I send my messenger ahead of you to prepare your way.”


Now take a moment and ask yourself: Why do I turn to Jesus?  Why do I seek Him out?   Do I go to Him because I believe in Jesus?  Do I only seek Him out when I am struggling or desperate?  Do I regularly spend time with Jesus?  The gift is that Jesus is always there for us, waiting for us to come to Him.  I often take this for granted until life gets difficult.  However, Jesus is not only our Savior; He is our friend and our guide.  Today make time to spend with Jesus.  Jesus is always with us; however, often we are the ones not present to him.  If we open our hearts to Him, Jesus will be there with us and He will grace and guide us.  May we trust Him always!

No comments:

Post a Comment