Thursday, October 6, 2016

Reflection: Luke 11:5-13


Thursday of the 27th Week in Ordinary Time - Luke 11:5-13

Today’s Gospel begins with Jesus asking his disciples what they would do if a friend woke them out of a deep sleep in the middle of the night and asked them for a loaf of bread. Honestly, ask yourself: how would you respond? If the friend continues to persist, most likely we will give them what they want so we can have some peace!

Jesus talks about this scenario but then moves into a passage that is very familiar: “Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened.” Ask yourself: do you take Jesus’s words literally?

I assume that most of us have learned over the years not to take Jesus’s words literally. At times in my life, I know that Jesus has answered my prayer. However, there have been other times when I believe that my prayer has not been answered — at least in the way I wanted it to be answered. Are my expectations too concrete? Is it realistic for me to expect to receive exactly what I asked for since it doesn’t usually happen that way? However, does this mean that my asking, seeking and knocking are in vain? Does this mean that Jesus is not listening to me?

I strive to trust and believe that Jesus does respond to me. However, I don’t always recognize his response at the time. Other times I may be so upset about not getting the answer I “wanted” that I don’t have the openness to recognize the answer I receive!

Today may we pray for open eyes, open minds and open hearts to hear, for Jesus may be answering us! We may receive more than we asked for!

No comments:

Post a Comment