Saturday, May 14, 2016

Reflection: John 15:9-17


Saint Matthias, Feast - John 15:9-17

Today we celebrate Saint Matthias, the Apostle.  Matthias was not one of the 12 men whom Jesus called to be His disciples.  Matthias had followed Jesus and learned from Him, but was not an original apostle.  Matthias was the man chosen by lot to replace Judas. 

In today’s Gospel Jesus tells his disciples: “As the Father has loved me, so I also love you.  Remain in my love.” He reassures them: “If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love and in my Father’s love.”  Then Jesus says, “This is my commandment: love one as I have loved you.”
What challenging words Jesus speaks to us today!  Imagine how our world could be if we truly worked to love one another, to love all others.  Love is powerful!  Love does not mean that we have to like another or to always agree with one another.  Love calls us to desire the best for the other person and to care deeply for them, despite the differences or difficulties we may experience with this individual. 

I assume that we would like to have others love us also, even though they may not like us or agree with us.  Love has the ability to supersede many challenges in life.  This doesn’t mean that we will not struggle in many ways, however.  If we consistently make a choice to love the other, we will be following in Jesus’ footsteps.   Every day we have a choice and if we choose the path of love every time, our path will be strewn with beauty, joy, and peace.  What more could we hope for?

No comments:

Post a Comment