Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Reflection: Luke 1:46-56



Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Advent –Luke 1:46-56

The Gospel for today is a continuation of yesterday’s reading.  In the opening words of this Gospel, Mary proclaims the goodness and greatness of God.  Despite the highly unusual circumstances of her call to be the mother of Jesus, Mary rejoices and proclaims that God has looked upon her with great favor.  She is not overwhelmed by fear or panic.  Is this how you or I would react?  
Mary’s immediate and heartfelt response to God’s call makes it clear that Mary had a deep, personal relationship with God.   She must have been somewhat confused by this call, yet Mary trusted the God who called her.  Mary believed that God would guide her and grace her.  While Mary was very young when God called her, she had a depth of faith and trust in God that many people never develop.  What a wonderful gift!
We also can experience the gift of a personal and intimate relationship with God.  Our relationship with God develops in the same way that any personal relationship develops: with time and experience.  I assume that most of us do not place a great deal of trust in someone we just have met.  True trust grows over time.  It is our personal experience of the person that enables us to begin to trust that individual.  This also is true in our relationship 
with God.

Take a moment and ask yourself: What is going well in my life?  Do I take these blessings for granted?  Do I thank God for the many blessings I receive each day?  When/if  life is painful, confusing, or difficult, do I still praise and thank God?  

On some days, I thank God for giving me the strength to keep going.  At other times, I am grateful to God for the multitude of blessings I have received.   Sad to say, there also are some days when I forget to thank God.
Today, let us ask Mary to give us a share of her faith and trust in God—and of her love for God.  Mary will walk with us and show us the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment