Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Reflection: Luke 10:21-24



Tuesday of the First Week of Advent – Luke 10:21-24

This Gospel begins with Jesus rejoicing in the Holy Spirit and praising God.  Ask yourself: how often do you praise God and the Holy Spirit?  I have to confess that much of my communication with God and Jesus is to ask for what I need.  With all my needs, I often forget to thank God for the many blessings I have received.  I have a great deal of abundance in my life.  I have good friends and a loving family, food on the table, heat in this cold weather, warm clothing and medical care.  I am not “rich” in the world’s eyes, yet I am very “rich.”  I am blessed!  How sad that I usually take these “riches” for granted!

The numbers of people in our country and our world who every day are hungry, cold, lonely or frightened, is overwhelming and tragic.  Yet, I may complain about the least inconvenience.  And yet we all lack something.  It may be a shortage of emotional support, education, money, good health or healthcare coverage.  You can fill in the blanks!  

Today however, may we stop and reflect on our blessings – small though they seem to be.  We are blessed!  Our blessings may look small or insignificant yet still they are a blessing and gift. Yes, we also have our pain, loss, or difficulties.  Despite the difficult or painful circumstances in our lives, can we still rejoice, give thanks and praise God?  I pray we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment