Saturday, February 6, 2010

Advancing Technology

I had to laugh the other day when a co-worker said, "The only thing I can do with my cell phone is make and receive calls." The comment took me off guard because I thought that's what a phone is for - to make and receive calls. However, nowadays if that's all the phone does, it's behind the times. Many of us at the monastery don't use cell phones unless needed for our ministries.

Growing up, my family wasn't up on the latest technology. In high school, I thought we were the only family without a VCR or Nintendo. When I asked my mom about it a few years ago, she said we didn't have a Nintendo because she didn't want 4 kids fighting over the one TV. Also, we didn't have a VCR because she was waiting for the DVD player to come out. Ha Ha! Now that it's been out for a while, my family doesn't have a DVD player either, so they must be waiting for the next big thing. Either that or it's just not that important.

I write about this because my co-workers and I recently had to look at ways we use technology to communicate with students. Cell phones, facebook, myspace, e-mail, all that stuff can be good for communication if used well. I try to keep up with technology so that I can speak the kids' lingo, but I know I'm archaic. Can't help it - I grew up that way.

No matter how convenient technology is becoming, I hope we don't lose our personal contact as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment