Thursday, January 1, 2009

Summing It Up

If people were to describe you using only one word, what word would it be? I was thinking about this for myself and for those I love. Definitely, with my grandma the word would be "loving." Always when I was in her presence I felt loved. I believe, without a doubt, that I was her favorite. I also believe that everyone in the family can say, without a doubt, the exact same thing. Each one of us was her favorite. I didn't have to say or do anything special. I was loved for simply being.

It took awhile for me to think of one word for my mom. There were several, but if I could only choose one it would be "generous." She has literally given me the shirt off her back and the wall hanging off the wall. One time when I was in college, I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough money to pay the rent. She got out every piece of spare change she could find. We counted up pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters until I had enough. When visiting from college, I learned that I couldn't make the comment that I liked anything that was new at the house because I would later find the object in my bag after I arrived back at school.

If I could choose one word for myself, it would be "blessed." Things haven't always been easy or the way I would want them to be. My family has had some difficult times and the future is a mystery. I know, however, that I am truly blessed. I have been blessed by God, and I am truly blessed to be a Ferdinand Benedictine.

I could go on and list other family members and one word descriptions of them, but go ahead and try it for yourself. How would you describe yourself? Do you want that word to be different? How do you want people to remember you? What are ways that you can make that word a reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment