Friday, January 15, 2016

Reflection: Mark 2:1-12



Friday of the First Week of Ordinary Time – Mark 2:1-12

Today Jesus returns to Capernaum. When the townspeople hear that Jesus had returned home, they begin to gather at the house where Jesus is staying.  However, there are so many people that there is not enough room for all of them.  As the word spreads of Jesus’ presence, four men bring a paralytic to Him for healing.  There are so many people gathered around Jesus that they cannot get through the crowd.  These men are determined and resourceful.  They open up the roof above Jesus and lower the man on his mat through the hole in the roof.  When Jesus sees the deep faith these men have, He tells the sick man that his sins are forgiven.  The man is healed immediately.

The scribes are also at the house.  When they hear Jesus tell the man his sins were forgiven, the scribes are outraged and angry and immediately accuse Jesus of blasphemy.   After all, who did Jesus think He was?  Everyone knew that only God had the power to forgive sin.  Jesus confronts the scribes by asking them why they were judging Him.  Did the Scribes truly have a “case” against Jesus or are they simply jealous or afraid of Jesus’ power?

How often do I judge another?  Do I judge another person out of jealousy or envy?  Or perhaps I simply do not like the person.  Typically, our minds jump to judgment before we even realize it.  This seems to be part of our human reality.  However, once I realize that I am judging, I have a choice.   I can let go of the judgment or I can hang on to the judgment. 


Today what will we choose:  to continue automatic judging or to make a more loving choice consciously?  I pray that we make the loving choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment