Sunday, August 31, 2014

Reflection: Matthew 16:21-27


Sunday of the 22nd Week in Ordinary Time – Matthew 16:21-27

The first sentence of the reading from Jeremiah is a real attention-getter. “You duped me O Lord and I let myself be duped!” When in your life have you felt betrayed or tricked by God? I would guess there has been at least one time in your life when you experienced the seeming absence of God. At these times in my life, my tendency is to distance myself from God! Why would I want to spend time with someone who seemingly “deserted” me?

The reality of life is that we often don’t feel God’s presence when we need it or desire it. It would be wonderful if we could magically make God appear whenever we want! However, it usually doesn’t happen that way. When I am feeling alone and in need, do I continue to trust that God is with me even though I don’t “feel” God present? These are the times when life truly is a “trust walk!” We don’t know, we don’t “feel” God, yet we continue to move ahead in trust. We are able to trust that the God who has been with us before IS with us now---even if we don’t sense God’s presence! May we pray for the grace to trust our God who loves us deeply in these times of seeming “absence!”

No comments:

Post a Comment