Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lost Keys

I recently walked around the monastery looking for lost car keys.  If you've been to our monastery, you know how big it is.  I got lots of exercise, and I'm happy to say I eventually found them.

My search for the keys reminded me of a Sufi story.  Maybe you've heard it before.  There are many versions, and one goes something like this. 

A man is looking outside for his house key.  One of his neighbors sees him and helps.  The neighbor finally asks the man, "Where do you think you lost it?"  The man answers, "Inside the house."  Baffled, the neighbor asks, "Then why are we looking for the key out here?"  The man answers, "There's more light outside here than inside my house."

This story makes me ask myself, "What is going on in my life that I'm afraid to look at?  Am I putting my energies in the right areas?  Am I taking the easier road to avoid decisions that may include difficulty, risk, or more work?" 

What does this story say to you?  Blessings to you as you allow this story's message to unfold in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment