Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spiritual Reading

Well, talk about things being up in the air and turned every which-a-way. I thought surgery was going to be on June 3. Then I thought it'd be on June 10. Now, it's going to be on June 24. It's been a lot of waiting. I'm now reading When the Heart Waits by Sue Monk Kidd. It seems an appropriate book at this time. I've read and enjoyed some of her other books - God's Joyful Surprise, The Mermaid Chair, and The Secret Life of Bees.

I believe the best spiritual book I've read is Inner Compass by Margaret Silf. I'm a visual person, and this book is filled with tons of images relating to the spiritual journey. One of my favorite images Silf uses is that of "inner furniture." If someone says something that is upsetting, it's as if they have bumped into our inner furniture. The same thing said to someone else may not have any effect on that person because their inner furniture is arranged differently based on their priorities, history and life experiences. The idea is to be aware of our inner furniture and rearrange it if necessary, so that the next time it gets bumped, it won't have a devastating effect on us.

The whole book is filled with down-to-earth, real life stuff. The author makes herself very vulnerable, sharing on a very personal level. It is scriptural based throughout, and every chapter ends with "Suggestions for Prayer and Reflection." This is a book that I plan to read often. I find it so rich that it requires a slow reading.

If you enjoy images or are looking for a good spiritual book, I recommend Inner Compass. As for recommending When the Heart Waits, well, I only just started it, so I'll have to wait and see. Given her other books and what I've read so far in the preface, I'd say I'm off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment