Thursday, April 16, 2009

There's No Wrong Way . . .

I recently received this note from a parent.

"I have also wanted to mention to you how impressed I was w/ you at KUNA. I have a lot of Baptist friends that pray out loud from the heart and make it seem so easy. You have been the only person in my entire Catholic upbringing that I have ever heard pray the way you did w/ those girls before they danced. I’m sure it meant a lot to them, but it meant even more to me. Thank you so much for bringing Jesus to them that night. That is why we pay so much to send our children to a Catholic school."

I haven't always been able to pray "off the cuff" in front of others. Most of us Catholics are more comfortable with traditional prayers. I've learned a great deal from my protestant friends and other Catholics who simply "go with it." They make it seem so easy and natural to pray to God with their own words, from their heart.

I'm reminded of the Reece's commercial from a while back that said, "There's no wrong way to eat a Reece's." There's no wrong way to pray either.

Take a deep breath, get out of the way, allow the Holy Spirit to enter, and see what words come.

No comments:

Post a Comment