Thursday, August 4, 2016

Reflection: Matthew 16:13-23



Thursday of the 18th Week in Ordinary Time - Matthew 16:13-23

In today’s Gospel, Jesus travelled to the region of Caesarea Philippi. Jesus asked his disciples: “Who do people say that the Son of Man is”? The disciples replied: “Some say that you are John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” Then Jesus looked directly at his disciples and asked: “But who do you say that I am?" Immediately Simon Peter looked at Jesus and said: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus then looked at Simon Peter and said: “Blessed are you, Simon! This has been revealed to you by my Father. And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.”  Jesus plays on Peter's name which is the same word for"rock.  To call someone a "rock" is a great compliment.

Faith in Jesus makes us into "rocks" or "spiritual stones."  Sometime we are personally tested with the same question that Jesus asks of his discipes: "Who do you say that I am?"




No comments:

Post a Comment