Thursday, June 16, 2016

Reflection: Matthew 6:7-15



Thursday of the 11th Week in Ordinary Time – Matthew 6:7-15

Today’s gospel reading begins with Jesus telling his disciples that they should not babble their prayers like the pagans do. The pagans may think that more words are better and they may hope that many words will bring them a favorable response from their gods.

Jesus then teaches his disciples how to pray. He teaches them the simple yet profound prayer: the Our Father. This is a prayer we can recite without even thinking about it. However, when was the last time we meditated on this wondrous gift Jesus has given us? As I write this, I realize it has been a very long time since I have truly meditated on the Our Father! However, I pray (say) it every day at Mass. Often, I am thinking of something else as I pray this beautiful prayer!

This short and simple prayer is rich, but profound in its simplicity. Today I invite you to find a quiet place and pray (truly pray) the Our Father slowly and deliberately. Be aware of the words. Pray them from your heart, not your head! Then sit quietly for three to five minutes.

As you go about the rest of your day, notice if there is something different for you today? I pray there is. You may even sense Jesus’ presence with you and within you throughout the day. What a gift that would be!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post - and coincidental since I wrote the same thing on my Blog today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete