Saturday, November 7, 2015

Reflection: Luke 16:9, 22-27




Saturday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time - Luke 16:9, 22-27

This Gospel begins with Jesus instructing his disciples in a very unusual manner. He tells them: “I tell you, make friends for yourself with dishonest wealth, so that when it fails you, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.” Jesus then says: “The individual who is trustworthy in small matters also will be trustworthy in important matters.” He continues on: “The individual who is not trustworthy in small matters most likely will be dishonest in dealing with important matters.”

Trust is one of the most important values to human beings. If we do not trust another person, we likely will keep our distance from that individual. If we have been hurt or wronged by a family member or friend, it may take us a long time before we trust that individual with our thoughts and feelings. Now ask yourself: do you consider yourself to be a trustworthy person? When are you trustworthy and when do you slack off? Are there times when you realize that you also are serving two masters: God and man?

Today Jesus is reminding us of what we as Christians are called to be and to do. He is reminding us to be true to what we profess and then to live out what we profess in our daily lives. Today I invite you to take some time and examine yourself: Do I truly live what I profess in my words, my actions and my attitudes? In what arena/s of my life am I not living what I profess? Do I follow through on what I have promised to do? What do I want to change so that I truly am “walking my talk?” Today I invite you to be mindful throughout your day! It is so easy for us to begin to slack off, especially in the seemingly small matters of life. Today may we strive to be our best and truly live what we profess!

No comments:

Post a Comment