Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Reflection: Luke 6:12-16

 
Saints Simon and Jude, Feast–Luke 6:12-16 
 
On this feast of St. Simon and Jude, the Gospel reading focuses on Jesus’ call of his disciples.   This reading begins with Jesus going up to the mountain to pray.  He spent the whole night in prayer.  Luke writes: “When morning came, he called his disciples to himself.”  Jesus then chose from them the Twelve whom he named apostles: Simon (Peter), Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot.
 
In Luke’s Gospel it is clear that there also were other disciples with Jesus.  I can’t help but wonder how the disciples who remain unnamed as disciples by Jesus reacted to this decision?  Were they angry?  Upset?  Disappointed?  Did they wonder if they were not holy or good enough to be chosen as one of the Twelve?
 
What about us?  If we are Christian, Jesus  has chosen us to be his disciples.  Each one of us has been called to proclaim the Gospel though our words and our deeds.  Today ask yourself: What is the message I proclaim by my words, my actions and my choices?  Am I proclaiming the message of Jesus?  Am I sharing his message of love in everything I do and with every person I meet?  Will these individuals recognize you and me as a follower of Jesus?  I pray they will!

No comments:

Post a Comment