Thursday, October 29, 2015

Reflection: Luke 13: 31-35

 
Thursday of the 30th Week in Ordinary Time – Luke 13:31-35
 
In today’s Gospel, several Pharisees approached Jesus and warn him: “Go away!  Herod is plotting to kill you!”  Clearly, this particular group of Pharisees was concerned for Jesus and his safety.  I wonder if they were secret followers of Jesus?  However, Jesus replies to them: “Go to Herod and tell that fox: Behold, I cast out demons and perform healings today and tomorrow.  And on the third day I will accomplish my purpose.”  Jesus then prophesies that He, the prophet, will die in Jerusalem.
 
Jesus says to them: “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets.  Many times I have yearned to gather your children to myself, as a hen gathers her brood under her wing.  However, you were unwilling!”  Jesus then sternly prophesies: “Your house will be abandoned,  and you will not see me until you profess: ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”
 
Clearly Jesus realized that the Pharisees were not on his side.  Perhaps the  Pharisees were hoping that Herod would rid them of Jesus.  Jesus not only was a thorn in their side, he also was a significant threat to their power and control of the people.  However, Jesus was dedicated to the path that was before him.  The Pharisees could not and would not deter Jesus from his mission.
 
Today Jesus is saying these loving words to us.  He also longs to gather us to himself, close to his heart.  However, we need to ask ourselves: Am I willing to allow Jesus to gather me to himself?  Or do I stay at a distance from Jesus?  The good news is that even if we keep our distance from Jesus, he still walks with us every day and every moment!  Is there any love?  What a wondrous gift is ours!  The question is: Will we reciprocate by loving Jesus and daily walking by his side?

No comments:

Post a Comment