Friday, December 6, 2013

Advent Calendar, December 6

Isaiah 29:17-24; Matthew 9:27-31

Reflection by Sister Catherine Marie Duenne
Music Minister for St. Ferdinand, St. Anthony, and Sacred Heart of Jesus in Schnellville



Both of today’s readings mention the blind being able to see. In Isaiah, we read “And out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see.” In the Gospel of Matthew, we hear of two blind men who call out to Jesus for pity. Jesus touches their eyes and says, “Let it be done for you according to your faith.” Their eyes are then opened.

When I hear stories like this, I think of my own spiritual blindness. Am I aware of the ways in which I am blind? At the end of each day, how do I answer the following questions?

Have I followed the Gospel?
Have I been Christ to those around me?
Have I recognized Christ in all people and all creation?

If I have failed in these areas,I too am spiritually blind and am in need of Jesus’ healing. I too need to call out to Jesus for pity.

I recently heard an interesting story and will do my best to retell it.

A rabbi asked his students, “How do you know when night has ended and the day has arrived?”

One student answered, “The night has ended and day has arrived when you can look off in the distance and see an animal, and you know if the animal is a sheep or a goat.”

Another student answered, “The night has ended and day has arrived when you can look off in the distance and see a tree, and you know if it is a fig tree or a peach tree.”

A third student answered, “The night has ended and day has arrived when you can look off in the distance and see a person, and you know if the person is a friend or an enemy.”

The rabbi was not satisfied with any of these answers. He corrected them by saying, “The night has ended and day has arrived when you can look at the face of any person and see the face of a brother or a sister. Only until then has the day arrived. If you look at someone and cannot see the face of a brother or sister, you are still living in darkness, and no matter what time it is, for you it is still night.”

How is my spiritual sight? Am I like the two in the Gospel who called out to Jesus, “Son of David, have pity on us!” Am I in need of healing? Will I allow Jesus to open my eyes as he did the two in the Gospel so that I too can see with the eyes of faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment