Saturday, May 2, 2009

Derby Day

Today was a great day for our community because novices, Sister Doris and Sister Gail made their First Monastic Profession. I will post a video (hopefully) of the ceremony later.

Because of the Profession we had a slightly different schedule today. We ate supper at 5 p.m. then had a little free time before Vespers and Profession at 7 p.m. Many of the sisters, myself included, took the opportunity of that free time to watch the Kentucky Derby. Lucky for us it was perfect timing! There were 12 us watching and rooting for various horses to win for one reason or another. I was hoping General Quarters would win because his owner/trainer/hotwalker/groom was a 75 year old retired principal and teacher. It would have been a neat story but it was not to be.

Of course, as always, for me watching the big race took me back to my pre-monastery days when I worked with racehorses on the track. Gosh, that seems like a lifetime ago, and in many ways it was a lifetime ago.

Anyway, here are some pictures of us watching the Kentucky Derby.



Sisters Barbara Jean, Mary Carmen & Agnes watching the post parade!



Sisters Kathy and Mary Carmel rooting for their pick!



Sister Barbara Jean REALLY rooting as they come down the final stretch! I think she thought she was really riding the horse! :)

1 comment:

  1. The caption of Sister Barbara Jean really made me laugh. I think sisters were spread out all throughout the moanstery with every TV in the house on. I watched it with Sister Gail (the newly professed) and her family in the guest department. That was very nice.

    My favorite part was seeing the excitement of the jockey after the race. What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete