Saturday, May 16, 2015

Reflection: Mark 16:23b-28


Mark 16:23b-28 – Saturday of the 6th Week of Easter

Today Jesus tells his disciples: “Whatever you ask the Father for in my name, God will give to you.” Now: think back. How many times have you asked God for a grace, a sign or a sense of Jesus’ presence with you? How many times did you receive a clear sense of God’s presence, grace, or the gift you asked for? Yet, today Jesus clearly says: “Whatever you ask God for, if you ask in the name of Jesus, God will give to you.”

The core and power of Jesus’ instruction seems to be that we need to ask in Jesus’ name and not just say: “Hey God! Could you help me out?” Jesus tells us that if we speak God’s name reverently and call upon God from the depths of our hearts, we will receive what we truly need. (However, it may not be what we had hoped for.)

Most of the time I think I know what I “need.” Or perhaps more accurately, I know what I “want.” However, what I may want or desire may not be the most beneficial gift for me. There have been many times when I asked God for a specific gift or grace but I didn’t receive it (at least as I had hoped to experience it).

What does it mean then to “ask in Jesus’ name?” Does it mean simply “dropping Jesus’ name” as you talk with God? Or does “asking in Jesus’ name” imply a depth of intimacy and trust that develops over time in a serious, loving, trusting, and committed relationship?

Jesus knows us intimately. And Jesus desires that we come to know Him intimately also. Today and every day Jesus invites us into an intimate and loving friendship. Jesus doesn’t want us to come to Him only when we “need” something from Him. Rather, Jesus wants us to come to Him because we love Him and we desire to be with Him. This truly is what love and friendship is about!

So: do we want a “vending machine God” that automatically dispenses what we desire when we “push a button?” Or do we desire an intimate friend who loves us unconditionally and wholeheartedly, a friend who will stay with us no matter how many times we disappoint Him? As always, it is our choice! What do we truly desire? Whom do we desire? Only you can answer that question!

No comments:

Post a Comment