Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dating

I get asked often about dating. If you're a nun, you can't date, but that doesn't mean that nuns have never dated. Of course, if my dad would have had his way, I wouldn't have dated until I was 50.

The last date I went on was the weekend before I entered the monastery. This guy I had been working with wanted to do something nice for me as a way to say good-bye. He knew it was the last date. I knew it was the last date. But my dad must have been a little worried.

When he came to pick me up, my dad asked him what his dad's name was and what his dad did for a living. These seemed like reasonable questions, but they didn't end there. He then asked him what he thought about genetically altered crops. Genetically altered crops??? I don't know what that had to do with anything. His dad was a truck driver. I then started saying we had to go, but I was powerless, and the questions continued. My dad then asked, "Do you know how rice is grown?" I was annoyed at my dad's questions, but was thoroughly impressed with the guy's answers. He answered well, and, unfortunately, the questions continued. "What do you think about our trade relations with China?" What!!! Trade relations with China??? I couldn't believe it. I tried, to no avail, to get us out of the house. I must say that the guy was extremely good at handling the bizarre situation.

Finally, my dad said, "OK. I'll let you go if you answer one more question. What was one of the causes of WWI?" Oh, my gosh. I couldn't believe the interrogation this guy had to go through. My only thinking was that maybe my dad was worried I'd change my mind about joining the monastery.

That was the last question, and I believe he passed the pop quiz with flying colors. He knew my dad's reputation, but that was certainly more than either of us would have bargained for. He let out a deep sigh when we got to the car. We then enjoyed a very, very nice dinner. After all, he had earned it. My dad had nothing to worry about. I entered the monastery a week later, which was almost 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment