Monday, March 7, 2011

"Not Dead Yet!"

Tonight I concluded my stint as chaplain of our high school girls' basketball team. Closing out a successful season with a celebratory banquet, the coaches gave out awards to all the players for their various strengths and gifts to the team. We had the participants, a most improved, a most-free-throws, best defense, best offense, an MVP, a "trooper" award, a leadership award- you name it. At the end of the rest, the coach gave me a plaque too, and then said that they're starting a award in my name! A month or two ago, unknowingly, I helped pick our first winner when the coach asked my thoughts on who ought to get an award for just being a good overall person of character, on the court and in the classroom. I gave him a suggestion or two. Tonight I had to laugh when he gave it to one of my students whom I'd recommended. I thought you had to be dead to have awards named after you, but I guess not!

No comments:

Post a Comment