Saturday, October 24, 2009

New Songs

I may have stepped up the "coolness ladder" at school. When the 7th and 8th graders participate and behave well, I let them listen to a song of their choice at the end of class. These have to be preapproved songs appropriate for school. I choose a person who then chooses a song from the list. The students enjoy it. They seem to behave and participate better (at least most of them or they lose the privilege). I also have benefited by being exposed to new music and by becoming aware of the students' favorite songs.

Some of the songs they listen to are extremely sad and touching. One such song is "Alyssa Lies" by Jason Michael Carroll. If you haven't heard it, please look it up. It's a country song about child abuse.

I believe that music gives us a way to express ourselves when words fail. Oftentimes, the music expresses feelings the students (or adults, for that matter) may not be able to articulate on their own. Sometimes the words express loneliness, confusion, or a desire to change oneself or the world.

I'm glad I'm able to hear the music the students are listening to so that I can understand the students better. I become aware of what music they enjoy and what songs affect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment